1. Cut pheasant legs through the joints to separate drumsticks from thighs. Set drumsticks aside; bone and skin thighs and breasts. Refrigerate remaining pheasant pieces and bones for another use.
2. Prepare smoker using fuel of your choice with mild flavor wood chips/chunks.
3. Arrange boned pheasant thighs and breasts and the drumsticks on rack in smoker or roasting pan. Brush with whiskey. Sprinkle with salt and sugar.
4. Smoke pheasant until done, 170F in deepest part of breast meat. When measuring temperature, do not hit the bone with the thermometer probe tip. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Meat will be dry.
5. Serve with Apple Barbecue Sauce, if desired.
APPLE BARBEQUE SAUCE: In a heavy 1-quart saucepan, combine. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
3 2-lb pheasants -- quartered
2 tablespoons whiskey or water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
apple barbecue sauce -- (recipe follows)
***APPLE BARBECUE SAUCE***
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves