1. Combine dry ingredients above beef for spice mix. Divide into 3 equal parts.
2. In chili pot (with a lid - will use it later) brown the beef, drain the fat in a colander, and return the beef to the chili pot.
3. Add the beef broth, chicken broth, tomato puree (or diced tomatoes), and 1/3rd of spice mix.
4. Simmer covered over low heat for about 1 hour.
5. Add other 1/3rd of spice mix, green chiles, and beans (including bean juices) and simmer covered another hour.
6. Add the last 1/3rd of spice mix and cook a ½ hour more adjusting spice to taste.
Total simmer time 2½ hours.
This is the chili I prefer to make during football season. It is a great all-purpose chili. I put it in a crock pot to take to parties and always bring back an empty pot. I prefer to use both dark kidney beans and pinto beans. If you don’t like them leave them out. I also prefer ground beef. If you like diced tri-tip use that instead. I add more salt to taste and adjust some of the spices during the last half hour. Feel free to adjust to your tastes. I serve with homemade corn bread, Fritos, or on hot dogs. Enjoy Viva Las Vegas style!
• 4 Tablespoons California chili powder
• 3 Tablespoons Gebhardts chili powder
• 3 Tablespoons cumin
• 2 Tablespoons New Mexico chili powder
• 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 Tablespoon onion powder
• ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
• 2 teaspoon salt
• 3 pounds ground beef or tri-tip roast, diced
• 1-15 ounce can of beef broth
• 1-15 ounce can of chicken broth
• 1-10 ounce can of tomato puree or diced tomatoes
• 2-7 ounce cans of chopped green chiles
• 1-15.5 ounce can dark red kidney beans
• 1-15.5 ounce can pinto beans
• Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste